Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Transitioning to Blogger, and getting organized

I've decided to save myself $70 a year by moving my blogs over to Blogger. It's been a bumpy ride, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.

The major downside is that, while I managed to keep my original domain name, all of the links to individual posts have changed. And there doesn't appear to be any way to override that.

Another issue is that I lost all of the comments from the original Sifting Through the Past blog due to incompatibilities between Wordpress and Blogger. So, sorry about that to all who commented on posts. I still have the exported files if I ever figure out a way to make it work.

I'm still experimenting with the gadgets to figure out what is actually useful, and which ones are just clutter. Any feedback or tips from other Blogger bloggers (redundant much?) is always appreciated.

In other news...
Though I haven't been posting very frequently, I am working on organizing my genealogy data. I've been toying with spreadsheets in OpenOffice for compiling data into a more user-friendly, at-a-glance type of format, but I'm still in the beginning process.

Mostly I have been writing up transcripts of pension applications and relevant census data for easier referencing per individual ancestor. This is going to take quite some time if the days it took to complete for a single ancestor is any indicator.

Ultimately, I'm shooting for a well-sourced timeline for each ancestor in an effort to make the events in their lives more coherent. There is a lot of troubleshooting involved as I experiment with different methods, but hopefully I will stumble upon a way to make this endeavor much more efficient.

2 comments:

  1. Natalie,

    I want to let you know that this post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2013/04/follow-fridayfab-finds-for-april-5-2013.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...